This register contains a biographical listing of physicians who practiced in Greensboro up until 1924, when the work was compiled by A. E. Ledbetter, himself a Greensboro physician. See following this description for a list of the physicians discussed. The item is 200 pages and in fair condition.
Provenance: This item was presented from an estate in 1976 and assigned accession number 1976.143.4.
Processing: This collection was processed by Karen C. Carroll with the finding aid was completed in August 1983.
Arthur Erastus Ledbetter was born near Jamestown, North Carolina on October 26, 1860. He attended the public schools near Jamestown and Deep River and in 1879 attended Trinity College Normal School. In 1880 he attended New Garden Boarding School. Four years later he married Rhoda C. Elliott. In 1886 he read medicine under Dr. William Bradshaw of Jamestown, and he graduated from the University of Maryland Medical School two years later. He practiced in Caswell County from 1888 to 1890 and then moved to Greensboro. He was the Guilford County Superintendent of Health from 1898 to 1900 and practiced widely in Greensboro.
SCOPE & CONTENT NOTE
Ledbetter’s stated purpose in this work is to sketch the “more than a hundred physicians who have lived in Greensboro, since the days of the great Dr. David Caldwell….” Ledbetter compiled these biographical sketches from primary and secondary sources. Each includes, if known, birth information, educational credentials, history of career, professional organizations and family information for each physician. Occasionally an office or home location is given and sometimes Ledbetter described physical characteristics. Several sketches were compiled in 1902 and “pigeon holed,” but most sketches were gathered in 1924. Sometimes only a name is at the top of the page, and no information is listed for surnames after William J. Richardson (the register is arranged in alphabetical order). The chief weakness of the item is that it is incomplete; however, it does provide a good description of a professional branch in Greensboro between circa 1865 and 1924.
The register is written in the somewhat cramped but legible writing of A. E. Ledbetter (see following pages for physicians’ names).
|1||1||Register of physicians|